In 1984 President Reagan declared July "National Ice Cream Month" and the third Sunday of the month "National Ice Cream Day" - July 18, 2021. Grab a bowl or a cone and a scoop (or 2 ... or 3 ...) of your favorite flavor ice cream and enjoy! #NationalIceCreamDay
Share these fun facts with your favorite ice cream lover:
- 90% of the U.S. population eats ice cream (I'm guessing the remaining 10% just don't have freezers).
- Americans eat more than 23 pounds of ice cream every year — we're the top ice cream consuming nation in the world.
- The majority of U.S. ice cream and frozen dessert businesses are family-owned and have been around more than 50 years.
- The world's biggest ice cream sundae, made on July 24, 1988, took four hours to create and weighed nearly 54,917 pounds!
- Immigrants at Ellis Island were served vanilla ice cream as part of their "Welcome to America!" meal.
- The first ice cream truck hit the streets in 1920.
- The five most popular flavors in the U.S., according to sales, are vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, strawberry, and Neapolitan (in that order).
- According to Twitter, however, the most-tweeted flavors are chocolate, vanilla, cookie dough, strawberry, and chocolate chip (in that order).
- Chocolate syrup is the favorite topping.
- The major ingredient in ice cream is ... AIR! Then why so many calories?!
- 85% of the vanilla beans used for ice cream are harvested in Madagascar.
Click here for 36+ ice cream spots to try around Washington County, Pittsburgh PA and across & Southwestern PA