We have made it through the last few weeks of craziness. The end of school is always a whirlwind of school functions like awards ceremonies, continuation celebrations, finals, sports banquets, field days, parties, and more. It is no wonder that when we get to the last day of school we are all jumping for joy (parents included). Whether your kids will be looking forward to the "lazy days of summer" or excited to keep busy with swimming lessons, summer camps, and local activities, there is no doubt we are all bubbling over with the feeling of excitement and anticipation for the fun days ahead.
To celebrate, our family has adopted the ritual of going out for ice cream on the last day of school. It is something my kids look forward to, even as teenagers. I recently asked fellow Macaroni Kid Publishers what their last day of school traditions are and thought it would be fun to share.
- Water Gun or Silly String Attack: Parents wait for the kids to get off the bus then soak them down with water guns.
- Ice cream floats for the kids and margaritas for the mommas.
- Build a campfire and let the kids burn their papers collected over the year (be sure to supervise!) Be sure there isn't a burn ban in your area.
- Sidewalk Art: Decorate the paved road or sidewalks with drawings and well wishes for summer. Once the kids get off the bus they can join in.
- Gather their friends for a sleepover.
- Have the neighbors over for a last day of school barbecue or picnic.
- Play in the sprinklers at the local park.
- Have ice cream (or breakfast) for dinner.
Happy Summer Everyone!